Department of Library and Information Science
Kakatiya University, Warangal
From the Desk of Head:
Department of Library and Information Science, is Eighteen years old department and formally established in the year 2005. Very soon we will be celebrating two decades anniversary of the department. This department is the biggest in North Telangana and based in the Heritage City, Warangal, Telangana. It has been catering to Library Science Student needs of North Telangana.
Since its inception department is growing and offering C.L.I.Sc, B. Lib & Inf. Sc./ B.L.I.Sc., M. Lib & Inf. Sc./ M.L.I.Sc. Eminent Heads like Dr. K. Ramanaiah, Sri. O. Bhuvan Kumar, Sri. R. Venkata Ramana have contributed very well for the Departmental activities. Various activities like Workshops, Conferences, and Symposiums etc. are organized in these 25 years. Departmental teaching & non teaching staff have put lot of efforts for making this department.
Brief History of the Department
Bachelors in Library Science (B.Lib.I.Sc / B.L.I.Sc) and Certificate in Library and Information Science (C.L.I.Sc) programmes were started in Distance Mode in School of Distance Learning and Continuing Education (SDLCE), KU, twenty five (25) years back in 1998-99.
Masters in Library Science (M.Lib.I.Sc / MLISc) one year programme in two semesters was inaugurated by Prof. C. R. Karisiddappa, Dept. of Library & Information Science, Dharwad University, Karnataka.
Department was initially housed in the University Library premises and later shifted to the present premises in August, 2008.
As far as general representation is concerned presently, about 60% students are female. Most of the students come from rural areas of North Telangana and some of them come from other parts of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. The teachers of the department are involved in counseling of the academic as well as professional students; They guide the students for their professional career development.
The faculty members participated in various activities of the University. The Department has established strong support of Alumni of the department as well as Retired teachers. The 60% students have secured jobs in academic, public, special libraries and research and documentation centers. Many students have qualified NET, SET, SLET and other competitive exams.
The Department of Library and Information Science aspires to provide outstanding education in library and information science. LIS professionals will be imparted with skills and training to serve as intermediaries between information and information seekers.
The faculty of LIS will contribute individual strengths to increase the quality of teaching, research and service that will maintain the department as a school of excellence.
The department of Information Science supports with knowledge, skills, experience and leadership to the information science community and prepares information professionals of the highest quality to serve dynamic roles in the state, the nation, and the world.
- Prepare information professionals who demonstrate excellence in leadership, service, research and education in a technology-driven environment.
- To blend theoretical knowledge with practical skills.
- To promote leadership qualities among students.
- To promote the use of new technologies in teaching and research.
- To inculcate right values among students by encouraging to follow ethical practice.
- To impart quality education to meet national and global challenges.
Department at Glance
1. Nomenclature: Master of Library and Information Science (One year) (M.Lib.I.Sc.)
2. Duration: Two (2) Semesters & One (1) year programme
3. Eligibility: Graduates in Library & Information Science B.L.I.Sc / B.Lib.I.Sc from recognized university with minimum Second Class marks in aggregate.
4. Intake: 35 Seats [as per government reservation policy]
- 28 Seats – Regular
- 7 Seats – Sponsored / Payment Seats
5. Medium of instruction: English
6. Attendance: As prescribed by Kakatiya University from time to time.
7. Hours of instruction / work: Average five to six hours of direct teaching OR as per the requirements of the paper / subject.
8. Self-Study: Students shall be engaged in self - study atleast for an hour a day.
9. Class room Seminar: Seminar paper writing and presentation is mandatory.
10. Internship: Four months internship during Second Semester at University Library is mandatory.
i) Building: The Department is on University Campus.
12. Faculty: Master of Library & Information Science (M.Lib.I.Sc) course is under Social Science faculty.
13. Faculties: As per approved list - extension lectures with experienced professionals and librarians of various reputed libraries from various fields are engaged for teaching and training of this course.
14. Academic Tour / Library Visit: Every year all students are encouraged for one or two academic tours and participation in seminars / workshops / symposiums etc.